Excess humidity is one of the most overlooked issues, but it could pose some health issues for those with allergies. What’s worse is that if there’s dampness, molds, and mildews in your bedroom, you wouldn’t get enough sleep as required. This is where dehumidifiers come in handy.
They help dry out the air so that these harmful conditions can’t thrive. Dehumidifiers come in varying sizes, functionalities, and coverage. To make it easier for you, we have reviewed some of the best dehumidifiers for bedrooms and a buying guide to help you choose the right one.
- Best Overall – Frigidaire Dehumidifier
- Best Value For Money – hOmelabs Dehumidifier
- Best Small Dehumidifier – Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
- Best Dehumidifier For Bedroom Review
- Why Do You Need A Dehumidifier?
- Things To Consider When Buying A Dehumidifier
Best Overall – Frigidaire Dehumidifier
We believe this is the overall best dehumidifier for the bedroom for several reasons. For one, it’s quiet. You don’t have to worry about any noise as you sleep. Secondly, it’s very efficient. Even though it draws more power than most models, it removes a lot of moisture at once. It also features a large tank, an alert system, and an option to drain the water continuously other than emptying it manually.
Best Value For Money – hOmelabs Dehumidifier
If you’d love to get the highest value for your money, this hOmelabs dehumidifier will do. It comes with a 2-years warranty and excellent customer service. It also has cool features such as the automatic shutoff when the tank is full, continuous draining, and it’s relatively quiet.
Best Small Dehumidifier – Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
Those seeking to dehumidify small bedrooms and apartments will love this model. It covers just 1200 cubic feet (150 sq. feet), removing 9 ounces of moisture per day. Based on this rate, you can leave it running continuously and still not incur a huge electricity bill.
Best Dehumidifier For Bedroom Review
Best Overall – Frigidaire Dehumidifier
Whether you’re looking for a bedroom dehumidifier or a dehumidifier for the whole house, Frigidaire Dehumidifier has got you covered. It is quite effective at keeping your rooms moisture-free thanks to the low-temperature operation (410 F), and automatic operation.
You can connect it to a drain if you don’t want to keep emptying the tank. The tank also has an alert system that informs you when it’s about to fill. You can also set a timer to switch the dehumidifier when you don’t need it, and it will automatically switch on at the appropriate time.
The automatic shutoff can also detect when humidity is too high, and it automatically starts to regulate it. It comes in different sizes, 30-pint, 50-pint, and 70-pint. It’s easy to operate thanks to the ready-to-select features.
Most of this dehumidifier’s reviews are positive. Most customers confirm that it works as advertised, especially in automatic mode. If you don’t connect the drain, you may have to empty the tank often.
- It’s easy to operate.
- It’s effective at removing any bacteria and excess moisture in your house.
- It can operate at low temperatures.
- It’s also very quiet.
- It extracts humidity at a faster rate, conserving energy.
- Some parts rust pretty fast. Unfortunately, rust is not covered in the warranty.
- It emits some heat when dehumidifying your house. If you live in hot regions, it may not suit you.
- It’s also quite expensive.
Overall, it’s a great dehumidifier. It eliminates moisture and bacteria as expected. Despite the rust and heat issues, we would still recommend it because it offers better functionality than most models in the market today.
Best Value For Money – hOmelabs Dehumidifier
For starters, it’s one of the quietest models in the market today. It comes in three sizes, 1500 Sq. Feet (22 pints) for small rooms, the 3000 Sq. Feet (35 pints) for medium rooms, and 4500 Sq. Feet (50 pints) for larger rooms and commercial purposes.
It features an automatic operation where it automatically shuts-off when the tank is full. However, you can also connect it to a drain for it to run continuously. To make it easy to move around, it features some rolling wheels. It’s easier to clean by just removing the filter and cleaning it with a cloth.
The control system is a visual interface that’s easy to use. It allows you to defrost, shut off, restart, or change the settings by just touching the screen. The company also offers excellent customer service and a 2-years warranty.
Most customers confirmed that it’s one of the best in managing moisture levels and eradicating allergens. They also agree that it has a quiet operation. However, some of them had an issue with the fact that it’s cheaply made.
- The manufacturer provides a 2-years warranty and excellent customer service. This gives you more reasons to trust their products.
- It provides the best value for money since it’s cheaper, but performs almost equally to the more priced models.
- It’s easy to move around.
- Even though it has a quiet operation, the compressor may sometimes let out a loud, unpleasant noise.
- Some parts, such as the filter and the tank, are flimsy and could easily break.
- It’s slower in moisture removal, consuming more electric power than the Frigidaire.
This is an excellent room dehumidifier that’s effective in reducing humidity and allergens. Most users can also confirm that it could serve you for a longer time when you maintain it correctly. It’s also the best for those looking for complete functionality at a lower price.
Best For Energy Efficiency – Black+Decker BDT50WTB
Two things set this dehumidifier apart from the others. These are its energy efficiency and its effectiveness in removing excess moisture in your room. It draws seven amps (800 watts) of electricity at 100% at Relative Humidity. This means that when there are lower humidity levels, it draws less power. Better yet, it takes a shorter time to pull the moisture.
It also has an accurate hygrometer that indicates the increment in humidity levels. Unlike the Frigidaire that shows in 5% increments, this dehumidifier indicates in 1% increments. This means that if you set an automatic shutoff at a specific relative humidity level, it will be more precise.
It automatically shuts off when the tank is full, and it features an LED display that allows you to interact with the machine by changing to your preferred settings. You can also opt for the model that has an inbuilt pump for continuous drainage. With this model, you don’t have to keep emptying the tank. This pump model also features an auto defrost mechanism, an auto-shut-off, and auto-restart features.
It also allows you to manually adjust the humidity levels between 35% and 80% and can operate at temperatures of 41 Degrees Fahrenheit to 90 Degrees Fahrenheit (5 – 32 Degrees Celsius). It also features a check filter light that indicates the nature of the filter.
According to most users, this dehumidifier works great for small to large houses. However, if you don’t connect the drain, you will have to empty the tank often. Also, those who used the pump model complained that the pump stops working a few months after purchase.
- It consumes less power even with a fast moisture-removal rate.
- It’s not that noisy when compared to other models.
- The 35 -80% adjustable humidity range is ideal for most homes.
- It’s quite heavy and hard to move around.
- The pump malfunctions often, and the tank fills up very fast.
- It releases a lot of heat during its operation.
This bedroom dehumidifier suits you if you have areas that accumulate a lot of humidity, such as your bedroom’s bathroom. It removes moisture faster and conserves energy when doing it. It’s also suitable for closets and basements.
Best Small Dehumidifier – Pro Breeze
If you have a tiny bedroom, you don’t need large and expensive models. What you need is a small dehumidifier with the necessary features. The room should be at least 150 square feet (1200 cubic feet).
Featuring an 18-ounce tank, this dehumidifier removes 9 ounces of moisture per day. It features an automatic shutoff feature and an indicator for when the tank is almost full. It also doesn’t use a compressor, making it quieter than most dehumidifiers. Due to its lightweight, you can carry it around the house. When it’s full, you can disconnect it and drain the water in a sink. It’s ideal for temperatures from 59-86 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Most users confirm that this dehumidifier works great for small spaces. They found it quiet, energy-efficient, and easy to operate. However, some still complained about its defective parts. It can easily break if mishandled. Some also found the tank capacity to be too small.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-years warranty.
- It’s very energy efficient and quiet.
- It’s affordable.
- It’s lightweight, allowing you to drain the tank, or carry it around easily.
- It breaks down quite quickly.
- The tank is also quite small.
- You have to run it continuously, for it removes moisture very slowly.
It removes moisture at a prolonged rate, that’s why you can’t use it in larger rooms. However, it’s best for small rooms, and the whisper-quiet operation enables it to conserve energy. We recommend it for bedrooms, kitchens, garage, or any other areas with optimum temperatures and low humidity levels.
TOSOT – B07B4WHXHD
An ideal bedroom dehumidifier needs to be quiet so that it doesn’t disturb your sleep or interfere with conversations or watching TV. This Tosot 30-pint model is one of the quietest in the market today. If you love the sound of light rain, then you will love this model.
It can remove 22 to 30 pints of water per day, in a 1500 Sq. Feet space. But there’s a 70-pint model which is a good dehumidifier for apartments. One unique feature is the auto-restart that restarts when power is restored after an outrage. It also sorts of “saves” your settings. When the power is back, it continues operating with the settings you applied.
You can choose to drain the bucket, which happens every five hours, or use the continuous drain. This feature is gravity fed, so you don’t have to worry about the pump. However, some of TOSOT’s 70-pints models feature a pump that aids in the continuous draining. The filter is easy to remove and clean.
There are a lot of positive reviews about this tool. A lot of users can confirm its quiet output, ease of use, energy efficiency, and versatility.
- It runs very quietly.
- It is Energy-star certified.
- It’s easy to drain the bucket, and the drain makes it more convenient.
- The auto-restart feature after an outage is also convenient.
- The manufacturer also offers a 1-year warranty.
- There are cases where it malfunctions and shows the FO error code. This may happen after a few months of purchase, which is a loss considering its price tag.
- There are rare cases where it arrives with cracks as a result of poor packaging.
It’s overall an excellent room dehumidifier. The auto-restart feature sets it apart, but other features like the continuous drain, easy to access the filter, energy conservation, and the LED display to show the conditions and to allow you to control certain aspects.
Why Do You Need A Dehumidifier?
Are you wondering what a dehumidifier can do for you? Most people are aware of air conditioners and humidifiers, but they may not be sure why they may need a dehumidifier. These tools help reduce the amount of moisture in your room. Have you ever felt the smell of dampness in a room, or seen molds in your bathroom? If you answered yes, then you need one of these. Below are some of the reasons why you may need a dehumidifier;
- Bad odors in your house – Too much moisture in the room tends to hold on to bad smells. A dehumidifier deals with these situations by drying out the air.
- Condensation in windows – This is a simple way to diagnose high levels of humidity. If you see water droplets dripping from your windows, you might have a problem since it may also compromise your window frames.
- Allergies – Excess moisture allows dust mites to thrive. Dust mites are also associated with Asthma. Other causes of allergies related to moisture include molds and mildews. So, if a member of your family is suddenly getting a lot of allergic reactions, you should consider reducing the room’s humidity.
- Food going stale quickly or the colds won’t dry – If your bread is developing molds pretty fast, or your clothes take too long to dry when in the house, you may have a humidity problem.
Things To Consider When Buying A Dehumidifier
Now that you have decided to get that dehumidifier, below are some of the things you need to look for before making the purchase.
As mentioned earlier, as much as you want to reduce the moisture levels in your bedroom, you don’t have to compromise your sleep. Make sure you check how many decibels of sound these devices you produce at all speeds of operations. You will find that as you increase the speed, they get louder. The quieter the process, the better.
The Area Of Coverage
Based on our dehumidifier reviews, you will realize that some can cover 150 square feet, while others can cover up to 4500 sq. Feet. If you have a small room, a small dehumidifier like the Pro Breeze will do. The larger the room, the more coverage you will require in a dehumidifier.
The Tank Capacity
When the dehumidifier extracts the moisture, it’s turned into water that’s stored in a tank. You may have to empty this tank manually. If it has a small capacity, you will empty it several times. Thankfully, some have an option to connect to a drain where-by water goes out as soon as it enters the tank. Others even have a pump to make this easier.
If you’re on a budget, you may not get one with a pump, but you can get a gravity-fed continuous drain. If you opt to empty it manually, you can look for features like the auto-shutoff. This is where the dehumidifier goes off when the tank is full. This reduces any mess caused by water overflow. Some of them also have an alert system that notifies you when it’s time to empty it. Most importantly, make sure that the design of the tank allows you to empty it flawlessly.
Some dehumidifiers have some modes to choose from, while others have one mode. You can go for several modes if you would love to have more control over your tool’s functioning.
Weight And Portability
If you’re looking for a single room dehumidifier, one that you won’t have to keep moving around, you don’t have to worry about portability. Once you set it up in the bedroom, that’s it. But if you want to keep shifting from the living room to the bathroom, and the basement, you will need a lighter, model, or one with wheels.
For starters, a warranty helps a seller to gain credibility. Secondly, a warranty will cover some general damages that these tools can have. Make sure you check what’s covered by the manufacturer and what makes you eligible for compensation. This saves you from unnecessary losses.