Water is the essence of life, but do you know only 2.6 billion in the world have access to clean water. And approximately 780 million people, predominantly belonging to developing countries, don’t have the luxury of safe and clean water.
Humans have been working around with technology and innovation to recreate gadgets, with better efficiency, low budget, and greater accessibility, to curb down the highly dangerous toxins and bacteria found in accessible water. According to UNESCO, one in nine people drinks raw water filled with 60 dangerous pesticides. Imagine how threatening that could be.
With all this information, next time, you may find yourself uncomfortable drinking from tap water or on the roadside trip. But, if you are a travel enthusiast, and a backpacker like me, and still deliberating whether to go on that hiking trip that you ought to cancel.
No need to worry anymore! With an easy way out, while keeping the limited budget and water resources intact. There are many reliable Portable Water Filters available in the market with an affordable price and great quality, but the top three favorable ones are:
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Award-Winning Personal Water Purifier – LifeStraw, an all-rounder, filters 4000 gallons, perfect for traveling, hiking, camping. And as the name speaks, the best for personal use at an affordable price.
Katadyn BeFree 1.0L Water Filter
Another exceptional filter – Katadyn Befree, for personal use, filters water 0.25gallons/min, requires no tools for clean-up – hence ideal for saving time.
Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
Not far behind in the race, we have Mini Water Filtration System by Sawyer Products – mini in size, cheap in price, and renowned for removing 99.9% of bacteria and viruses completely.
- Portable Water Filter Review
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- Katadyn BeFree 1.0L Water Filter
- Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
- MSR Guardian Water Purifier
- Survivor Filter Pro Water Filter
- Boston Fortis Portable Water filter
- Outdoors 365 Travel Water Filter
- GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier
- Etekcity Portable Water Filter Straw purifier
- SteriPen Aqua UV Water Purifier
- Main Things To Consider While Choosing A Portable Water Filter
- Types of Portable Water Filter
Portable Water Filter Review
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Life straw is one of the best flexible filtration devices, so effective and efficient for removing bacteria and offers better customer usability.
- Cheap and simple for travel and camping use.
- It is lightweight, inexpensive, and for the solo-use a lucrative offer.
- Easy to use and efficient working.
“I tested the LifeStraw in a pond near our campsite in British Columbia. The results were really good”. Users find that the filtered water had a good taste to it. But, they found it hard to clean and manage. Storage capabilities were limited as well, and the flow rate was not as fast as claimed.
- It removes all the bacteria. (99.9%)
- It’s lightweight (0.45Kg), and doesn’t require electricity to operate.
- It is user friendly, and thus a travel water purifier.
- It doesn’t use chemicals like iodine for the purification process.
- It does not have a good flowing rate as per the claim.
- Leakage can happen.
- It requires a tall person for the initial set-up.
Overall, based on the most users’ opinion, the LifeStraw Mission has a great performance and best value for the price. It does have a couple of maintenance issues, but they are easily changed if you feel it necessary to do so.
Katadyn BeFree 1.0L Water Filter
It features a tiny nozzle and a unit of fibrous filtration, which attaches itself to a soft bottle. All you have to do is scoop up water from any source, softly squeeze and start drinking. It filters out bacteria and protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
- This filter has 0.1 micron, which effectively removes 99.9% harmful organisms – bacteria and viruses.
- No extra tools required to clean up the EZ membrane – requires only easy and swift water motion.
- The fast flow channel rate is 2 liters/minute
- Filter produces fresh and clean water without any odd taste
- Clean Membrane for Endurance, Sports, Hiking, and traveling.
The Katadyn BeFree is the user friendly and favorite lightweight on-the-go filtration system. The flow rate is sufficient, and its lightweight profile is hardly noticeable. This is perfect for the running and endurance sports that require on-to the go hydration without the weight. But, unfortunately, the bottles do leak and break.
- Fast Speed Flow
- Foldable, lightweight and compact
- Easy to set up
- It doesn’t need chemicals to purify water
- Delicate and prone to breakage
- Leakage may occur after excessive use
- Not for long hours of traveling or hiking.
This product is easy to set up (can be used for hiking), filters water without leaving any bad taste, and, more importantly, kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses. However, it has its drawback at the cost of durability and sustainability; it may cause leakage. So, if you want to purchase this one, keep an extra soft bottle in case a leakage happens.
Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
- Weight: 56.7g
- Size: 0.1 micron
- Filter life: 100000 gallons
- Effective against: bacteria and cholera
- Mini – as the name goes, weighs around 0.056 kg
- You may use a straw, bottle, or the squeezing method for filtering.
If you want a filter that is versatile, user-friendly, and the one that doesn’t break your bank. Then, Sawyer Mini may be the one, but with its leakage issues, it may cause trouble during backpacking.
- It is versatile
- Full-time maintenance is required – backflushing
- Does not work efficiently in freezing temperatures
- Squeezing water through this filter can be tedious
Sawyer Company is turning out to be a game-changer with the Sawyer Mini. The ability to drink clean water from the source directly without having to carry a hefty filter or dangerous chemicals is ideal for backcountry enthusiasts. This Mini is an effective, lightweight, and versatile water filter at a low price. Trust me, our top fourth will not disappoint your small budget.
MSR Guardian Water Purifier
Do you want a more advanced solution to your hiking and camping water issue? You have arrived at the right place. Guardian purifier is one of the most demanded purifying devices used for traveling, squads, and military purposes.
With a filter pore size of 0.02 microns, The MSR Guardian Purifier is made of an advanced technology portable water purifiers on the market. This filter can remove protozoa, bacteria, and even viruses from unpurified muddy water, dirt, and slit making it ideal for your camping errands.
The purifier cleans itself using the 10% of the murky intake water. However, it is a bit difficult to carry, thus making it less likely for long-distance travel.
“The MSR Guardian was ready to use and manageable even on the first go.” All you need is to unscrew the cap and drop the intake hose into a water reservoir then start pumping. However, users had a problem with the hose and struggled a bit to keep it inside of the water. Overall, the results are found amazing.
- Low maintenance
- Its do-it-all system
- It’s heavier compared to others
- The intake hose is loose and flips around, making it difficult to filter water.
The MSR Guardian is in a class of its own when it comes to a dual-purpose filter – that can both purify and filter water, which no other filter does. However, there are many other options available on the market that should work for the most backpacking trips and will shave a heavyweight, and a whopping cost in the process. The Katadyn Microfilter, for example, can beat the MSR Guardian in the race by weighing only 0.31 Kg and approximately costs $70.
Survivor Filter Pro Water Filter
Tested at the certified Intertek Labs in Ohio – Survivor Filter Pro functions to remove all the bacteria and viruses, at a great price, with ultra-lightweight size. But, due to its composition of plastic, it can’t survive hot temperatures, and durability is another cause for trouble during hiking.
- Weight: 227 g
- Length: 16.5 cm
- Filtration speed: 0.5 litres per minute.
- Water Capacity: 264 gallons.
- With a triple filtration process (Pre, Carbon, and Ultra), killing 99.9% of all bacteria and viruses.
Many users appreciate the results of this portable water filter. They have used it on different sources and never got sick. It purifies and cleans water the way it promises, but it does not work much in hot temperatures.
- Easy to use and control
- Removes everything with 99.9% efficiency
- Affordable price
- Portable Design, suitable for all.
- The hand pump should have been stronger.
- Can’t survive harsh weather conditions.
In conclusion, Survivor Filter PRO is an incredible tool for solo use, for a couple, or perhaps for small families. With a great price tag and matchless properties – it has managed to mark off the fifth place in our list of 10 Best portable water filters.
Boston Fortis Portable Water filter
- It’s a personal water filter/camping water filter that provides safe, odor-free, and brilliant tasting water with easy use by using 2019 Advanced technology.
- It removes and kills up to 99% Bacteria, Microorganisms, Protozoa, Metals, and Chemicals. This has been tested and certified by independent laboratories.
- Supplementary features combined with the filter Compass, Whistle, Flashlight,
- Mini-Knife, and Fire Flint, perfect for camping, hiking, backpacking, adventures.
- The super-fast flow rate of up to 500ml per minute.
- Full back money guarantee with a lifetime warranty.
According to customer reviews, the product has a significant shape that appeals to customers, and some additional features gain the attention of buyers. On the other hand, customers complain that the product works well in the first stages but it begins to lose its original function with use. Most of the customers complain about losing the functionality of the product with time.
- Laboratory research authorized.
- Kills 99.99% bacteria and germs.
- Extra features (flashlight, whistle, and mini-knife).
- Super-fast flow rate.
- Filter needs to change after few months
- The price of filter increases each year
- Needs to be professionally installed
This is another portable water filter we highly recommend. It is effective in cleaning your water when you’re outdoors.
Outdoors 365 Travel Water Filter
The Ultimate Water Filtering Bottle with Built-In Compass by Outdoors365 helps you find your destination easily. It is an ergonomic, portable, and has a good water purification system that will help you drink, clean, safe, and great tasting water wherever you are!
- Make any groundwater drinkable.
- Super easy to use a water purifier.
- It has a compass so you never get lost.
- One water filter bottle, unlimited uses.
- Ergonomic design & handy
According to the clients’ reviews, the product is outstanding for working so well. It plays a very vital role in travel and hiking where you can’t take huge and heavyweight bottles of water. It filters the water very effectively with a simple utilization. But the only problem that clients are complaining about is; it’s very hard to suck water from the filter you need to use so much energy to suck water from a straw.
Joanne BP, a client’s review: “It’s a great product to use. I enjoyed using it has outstanding characteristics, very easy to use. But it has a deficiency. You need a lot of energy to suck water from it. Overall it’s a brilliant filter”.
- Light and ergonomic.
- Removes 99.99% harmful impurities.
- Have a compass
- Easy to use
- Need much energy to suck water.
- Made of plastic
This is a great tool that comes in handy during your travel. It is lightweight and can be used anywhere you go. But it may bother you that it’s made of plastic.
GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier
GRAYL Ultralight Purifier fits a backpack and can pass through airport security in your luggage nicely. No pumps, no compaction, no batteries and bulbs, and absolutely no chemicals. It makes 500ml of safe just in 15 winks in itself so you hydrate yourself and keep moving, no need for a supplementary bottle.
- Compact; filter bottle makes safe, clean drinking water from any fresh water source
- Fast and easy to use- ideal for tourists and backpackers
- Removes waterborne pathogens, and bacteria
- Filters impurities, large metals, improve transparency, and taste
After witnessing the reviews of the clients, I can say this is a superb purifier. The majority of the customers are delighted with its working. It has attracted customers with great performance and superb results. But some of the clients’ claim that the water is tasteless.
Catherine a customer review: “Exactly what I was looking for. Little tight at first, then you learn, untie the cam when lifting. The water tastes great and this gives me peace of mind that I can drink safe water”.
- Best for global travelers (can pass through airport security).
- Filters waterborne and particulates.
- Fast and easy to use (fill, press, and drink).
- Extremely light
- Water can be tasteless
Keep yourself hydrated with GRAYL Ultralight Purifier. It’s easy to use and effective in purifying your water.
Etekcity Portable Water Filter Straw purifier
This portable water filter exterminates up to 99.9% of heavy metals. The water filter straw is a great solution for daily purifying needs. If your water is not clean, just put it in your glass cup, and start sipping. All this is done without the use of chemicals. 2-3 micro-filters are required, such as activated charcoal and microfilters.
- Portable water filter.
- Personal water purifier.
- Great value-filters up to 6 months or 200 gallons and this is done without using any chemicals.
- 100% Guarantee of work
Many people like it because it doesn’t use any chemicals to filter water as this day everyone is scared of chemicals; people can use it in every restaurant, school, home, and especially when traveling.
- Easy to carry.
- No chemical use.
- Straw can easily break.
- Duration is not long.
No need for chemicals to clean your water, this portable water filter is easy to use and can be carried anywhere you go.
SteriPen Aqua UV Water Purifier
On our last spot for Top Best Water Fillers, SteriPen, which looks like a pen, stands tall and proud. Appropriate for travel, hike, and many other adventurous activities. The unit works on four AA batteries, and each battery is capable of 100 treatments – treats water in no time (48 seconds).
- Exterminate over 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa.
- Purify and treat water just in 48 seconds.
- The UV lamp is capable of up to 3,000-liter water sanctification
According to the client’s reviews, the product doesn’t seem well; most of the customers complained about the battery and the short life of the device. There are some other factors that clients complained about including that the device doesn’t work in harsh cold weather.
- Fast purification within 48 seconds
- Removes 99.99% harmful impurities.
- Short lifespan
- Can’t remove the color from water.
- Can’t change water taste.
Although not as effective as the previous portable water filters, this one remains one of the best as it cleans and purifies your water by removing germs and impurities.
Main Things To Consider While Choosing A Portable Water Filter
There are several things that you must think over, at least once, while shopping for a portable water filter. The list goes as follows:
- Size and Weight – smaller the better.
- Filtration Speed – fast speed would be preferable.
- Filter Capacity – should be large.
- Ease of Use – draw and drink water, and easy to maintain.
- Cost – should be affordable and available.
Types of Portable Water Filter
Selecting the best choice for Portable Water Filter, you will experience a sudden change in your hiking and camping experience. Let’s take a quick look at the types of Portable Water Filter, as it may come handy in the future.
- Straw Filters – extremely lightweight and affordable.
- Pump Filters – May fit up in your backpack, requires a hand pump, and water may taste good.
- Bottle Filters – Use it as a normal drinking bottle, and no need at all to filter your drinking water. Astonishing, huh?
- Gravity Filters – Perfect for remote areas with no electricity supply.
- UV Filters – Higher Cost, not often used, and are not easily manageable.